ATM / Debit Card Security
Using your ATM or Debit Card is one of the easiest ways to get cash and make purchases. Below you will find some safety tips to make using your card safe as well as easy.
Approach with Caution
- Never insert your card or enter your PIN in any terminal that does not look genuine, has been modified, has a suspicious device, or is operating in a suspicious manner.
- At a drive-up facility, keep your doors locked and all passenger windows closed.
- Remove your cash, receipt, and card after every transaction. If you make a withdrawal, pocket the cash immediately.
- Have your card ready when you approach an ATM. Seal checks or cash in an envelope. It's also smart to endorse checks with the restriction "For Deposit Only"
- Block others' view. Always stand between the terminal and any person who is waiting.
- Put your hand over the keypad as you enter your PIN to block the view of any cameras that may have been attached to the ATM.
- Memorize your PIN. Don't tell anyone your PIN or account number and never loan anyone your card. Never write your PIN on your card or anything you carry with or near your card
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately. You can greatly reduce fraudulent transactions by reporting them quickly. Call 712-336-2455 or 800-383-8000 to report your card as lost of stolen.
- Never give your PIN over the phone.
- Know who you are talking to. Never give unsolicited callers personal information and account numbers over the phone.
- Don't fall prey to "phishing". Never respond to an e-mail requesting you to provide card, PIN, or personal information via the internet.